Excerpts / Keyword Highlighting
Note: This feature is available in version 1.2 or later
When displaying search results, sometimes you may wish to highlight the query keywords in a record’s text. This can be done using Sphinx’s excerpts feature.
Thinking Sphinx automatically adds a method called excerpts to each search result, which can then query Sphinx for a specific column or method for the object, and return the highlighted version.
An example, working with a set of Articles, where we request the highlighted excerpts for the title and body:
If you already have a method called excerpts on the search results, Thinking Sphinx will not overwrite it. However, you will need to use a slightly less elegant approach to generate the excerpted values:
At this point in time, Thinking Sphinx does not have the ability to customise the excerpts settings, but here are the defaults:
- Keywords are wrapped in <span class=“match”>
- Each chunk is separated by an ellipsis (…)
- Each chunk has a maximum length of 256 characters (Sphinx will alter to ensure words aren’t cut in half).
- Exact phrase matching is turned off by default.
- Single passage matching is turned off by default.
Patches are welcome for ways to set these options to other values.