A few notes and links on the Government finally apologising to the indigenous people of Australia, prompted by conversations with Ross via twitter and IM:
- ‘Sorry’ isn’t the be all and end all – but it’s a good start.
- Howard’s intervention to ‘save the children’ was a load of bullshit bound for failure – top-down approach, handed down from on high, by white people who don’t have a clue.
- I don’t have any solutions on how to make things better. But as far as I’m concerned anyone suggesting solutions who doesn’t work with indigenous communities should seriously consider shutting their mouth.
- There isn’t going to be an easy, clear, simple solution.
- But there are people out there putting forward intelligent ideas. Go read Chris Graham’s article in Crikey
- While you’re at it, peruse these articles by Kylie Lee and Claire Smith.
- Also topical and definitely worth reading – Martin Flanagan on Archie Roach
I’m looking forward to tomorrow morning.